A traditional syrup to help prevent high cholesterol and support a healthy circulation. This syrup is great on top of yoghurt, porridge, drizzled over pancakes or taken straight from the spoon every morning.
Dried Hawthorn Berries* – 100g
Organic honey – 228g
Filtered water – 300ml
Lemon – juice
Orange – juice
- Add the hawthorn berries to a stainless steel saucepan with the water and bring to the boil.
- Turn off the heat and leave overnight.
- The following morning bring back to the boil and then simmer until the hawthorn berries become pale in colour.
- Cool slightly and strain into a bowl through a muslin cloth or fine metal sieve.
- Pour the resulting liquid into a clean saucepan and add the honey, lemon juice and orange juice. Bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes.
- Pour into a sterilised bottle or jam jar. Store in the fridge.
- Every morning add a teaspoonful of the syrup to your breakfast or take straight from the spoon.
Recipe created by Tipper Lewis, Naturopathic Herbalist at Neal’s Yard Remedies
*Available in Neal’s Yard Remedies stores and online at nealsyardremedies.com